It’s always a site owner’s dream to get a substantial amount of traffic and visits to their website. Little do some site owners know that web design plays a vital role in increasing web traffic – albeit indirectly. However, maximising it will certainly pay off in the long run and would certainly benefit any financial advisory website.
What exactly is web traffic?
Web traffic is defined as the amount of data and information sent and received by visitors to a website. Determined by the number of visitors (or users viewing your site) and the number of pages (in the website) that they look at, site owners monitor it in order to learn more about their target audience and find out the following aspects:
• To see if a particular page in the website is popular with certain audiences. For example, if a certain page in the website is mostly being viewed by people from a specific country, you could use this piece of information in your marketing strategies
• If there are certain flaws with regard to the website’s security. You will be able to check if there are potential areas of concern
Web design and search engine optimisation
Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the act of increasing rankings in search results pages of various search engines, particularly Google, which happens to be the most widely used search engine there is. So how does this increase web traffic?
Well, if you happen to be on the first page of Google’s search results pages, your site will certainly be exposed to a multitude of users which also increases the possibility of them visiting your site, thus increasing your website traffic. So, that said, how exactly does web design affect SEO rankings?
• Web design not only involves the overall aesthetics of a website, but also the content. Search engines, especially Google, love quality content. Quality is defined as ‘original and informative’. This encompasses keyword density, blog posts, headers and even the product descriptions
• A structured and organised web design will allow search engines to scan or ‘crawl’ on your website. They do so by releasing ‘bots’ all over the Internet. These abide to the standards set by the algorithms of the search engines. Currently, Google’s latest algorithm is Hummingbird
• Nowadays, web design covers not only desktop computers but also mobile phones and tablets. That said, most websites use ‘responsive web design’, a type of design that adjusts itself to conform to the gadget being used to view the website. This is also a great SEO benefit
Search engine optimisation makes web design and web traffic correlated. The principles involved in web design affects SEO, which in turn affects traffic. That said, remember that an SEO-oriented web design is also a user-friendly one as well.
Jim Kirk, Senior Consultant, Goldmine Media
Join now and receive Goldmine Media’s FREE email newsletter.
Sign up to Goldmine Media’s emails and receive FREE marketing guides, special offers and promotions.
Subscribers will receive our regular Goldmine Media email newsletter crammed with ideas to help you improve client communication, raise brand awareness, improve marketing efficiency, enhance client retention and increase sales.