Content marketing is increasingly important for financial advisers in a world dominated by the Google algorithm – and for good reason. Google’s constant tweaks of its search algorithm seeks to present searchers with the most relevant, timely and valuable content and defeat the aims of trying to game the system to get poor-quality content to rank well.
When we advise our clients and brands about how to implement a successful content marketing strategy, these are the key considerations:
1. Identify your target marketing and their pain points.
2. Discover who’s already talking in this space. Share their content on your own social networks and gather ideas to support your content marketing strategy. Link to these sources liberally. Content marketing should be about both creating and curating valuable content for your target audience.
3. Plan an effective content marketing strategy that keeps creating fresh content for your blog on a regular basis. This is really important for search engine optimisation (SEO). Curate content from trusted sources on a daily basis. Be sure to share this content in a format appropriate for each social platform – Twitter works best with links, Facebook and Pinterest with images, YouTube with video, etc.
4. Vary content types. The Internet is increasingly visual, so be sure to include a variety of visual format types. Create a YouTube channel and produce videos on a regular basis. Embed them on posts but be sure to summarise the content, as there’s little SEO value in just embedding a video. Create a Pinterest account, as this particular social network can generate a lot of web traffic.
5. Ensure quality content by researching each post and writing carefully. Edit your posts before pushing the publish button. Create a voice that resonates with your target audience and avoids jargon (unless your target audience shares your vocabulary). Don’t write ‘teaser’ copy that promises solutions that the content doesn’t provide.
6. Write great headlines and snippets to entice readers to read your posts. On Facebook, don’t use the easy link sharing. Instead, upload your feature image and write a short description that makes fans curious to read the entire post.
7. Craft each post around SEO keywords. Use hashtags on Facebook and Twitter to make your posts more findable, and use effective on-page SEO.
8. Follow-up by answering comments and thanking people who share your content. Your content marketing should be the basis for building your online community.
9. Measure. Analyse. Decide. Don’t just post content and hope it resonates with your target audience. Analyse posts to determine the best times and days to post and which content resonates most.
Paul Bearman, Senior Editor, Goldmine Media
Join now and receive Goldmine Media’s FREE email newsletter.
Sign up to Goldmine Media’s emails and receive FREE marketing guides, special offers and promotions.
Subscribers will receive our regular Goldmine Media email newsletter crammed with ideas to help you improve client communication, raise brand awareness, improve marketing efficiency, enhance client retention and increase sales.